Scaling & Root Planing – Miami, FL
Protecting Your Gums with Deep Cleaning
Scaling and root planing, also known as deep cleaning, help remove plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth and the pockets present between your teeth and gums. The procedure involves removing bacteria and food debris from your gum pockets to improve gum health and reduce periodontal issues. The procedure is only for gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontitis patients.
Advantages of deep cleaning
- The procedure stops the spread of infections and reduces gum diseases such as gingivitis.
- It fights bad breath in your mouth and reduces bad taste in the mouth caused due to gum diseases.
- It promotes healthy gums.
- Deep cleaning reduces the chance of tooth loss.
- It helps reduce the size of the pockets and slow the progression of gum diseases.
Types of treatment used during deep cleaning
- Tooth scaling- your dentist removes plaque and tartar from below the gum line going all the way into the bottom of the space between your teeth and gums. This is usually the first appointment in the deep cleaning process.
- Root planing- During root planning, the dentist removes plaque and tartar forms on the roots of your teeth to help reduce the size of the space between your teeth and gums. The process helps your gums to reattach to the teeth. During root planing, a dentist uses a scaling instrument to clean plaque and other buildups from the roots of your teeth, which helps to smoothen the roots
Treatment for Periodontal Disease
- Ensure you eat soft foods for a few days after your procedure.
- Avoid extremely hot or cold foods.
- Ensure you ask your dentist the type of medication you can take to reduce inflammation.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water at least twice daily.
- For fast healing and to reduce any chances of inflammation on your gums, brush and floss daily.
- When brushing, use a soft brush to avoid damaging your gums.
Deep cleaning is a standard procedure, and you should expect sensitivity and swelling afterward. However, if these side effects continue for more than a week, see your dentist.Get this treatment from experienced dentists at Dental Specialists of Doral Group. You can call us at (786) 355-4401 to book an appointment. We offer our dental care services to the communities of Doral, Fontainebleau, Miami Beach, Kendall, Sweetwater, Westchester, and Miami, Florida.